top of page

Applying for the K-1 Visa: What I Need to Know?

If you are a United States citizen who is engaged to a foreign national and you want to bring them to the United States to get married, then the K-1 visa may be the right option for you. The K-1 visa, also known as the fiancé visa, allows your fiancé to enter the United States for 90 days so that you can get married and start your life together. Here are the steps to apply for the K-1 visa petition:

Step 1: Determine Eligibility

To be eligible for a K-1 visa, you must be a U.S. citizen, and your fiancé must be a foreign national who is legally eligible to marry you. Both you and your fiancé must be free to marry, meaning that you are not currently married to anyone else or engaged in any other marriage-related activities. Additionally, you and your fiancé must have met in person at least once within the past two years, although there are exceptions for certain cultural or religious practices.

Step 2: File a Petition

Once you have determined your eligibility, you need to file a Petition for Alien Fiancé with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The petition will require you to provide evidence of your U.S. citizenship, proof of your relationship with your fiancé, and documentation showing that you and your fiancé meet the eligibility requirements for the K-1 visa.

Step 3: Wait for Approval

After you have submitted the petition, you will need to wait for USCIS to approve it. Processing times vary, but it can take several months for the petition to be approved. Once it is approved, USCIS will forward the petition to the National Visa Center (NVC) for further processing.

Step 4: Apply for a K-1 Visa

Once the NVC receives your petition, they will provide instructions on how to apply for a K-1 visa. Your fiancé will need to complete a visa application, undergo a medical examination, and attend an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. During the interview, the consular officer will ask questions about your relationship and may ask for additional documentation to verify your eligibility for the K-1 visa.

Step 5: Enter the United States

If your fiancé is approved for the K-1 visa, they will be allowed to enter the United States for 90 days. Once they arrive, you must get married within the 90-day period, and your fiancé must apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder).

In conclusion, applying for a K-1 visa can be a complex process that requires careful attention to detail and adherence to strict eligibility requirements. If you are considering applying for a K-1 visa, it is important to work with an experienced immigration attorney who can guide you through the process and help ensure that your application is successful. With the right support and preparation, you can bring your fiancé to the United States and start your life together as a married couple.

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page