top of page
  • Ebony Anuforo


What is the fiancé visa? The fiancé visa also known as the K-1 visa is for the foreign national fiancé of a United States citizen. The K-1 visa permits the foreign fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. The couple must marry within 90 days, otherwise the visa is null and void. Who can apply for the K-1 visa? You must be a United States citizen to sponsor your foreign born fiancé for a k-1 visa. U.S. permanent residents do not qualify to petition for their foreign fiancé . What are the legal requirements for a fiancé visa? To be eligible for a K-1 visa, the law requires that... 1. You intend to marry a US citizen. 2. Met your Fiancé within last two (2) years. 3. Legally able to get married. If you have not met your fiancé in person, this may be waived based on cultural customs or extreme hardship. When applying to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you will need to provide convincing evidence showing that you meet these eligibility requirements. The U.S. Government will want to see proof that you actually intend to get married. You can provide engagement announcements, engagement photos, save the dates, and an affidavit stating your intension to marry within the 90 days of getting the visa. You must also provide proof of your u.s. fiancé's citizen status. A U.S. citizen is someone who either was: 1. Born in the United States or its territories 2. Became a citizen through naturalization; or 3. Acquired or derived citizenship through a family member (such as being born abroad to one or two U.S. citizen parents) To protect against fake marriages, the US government requires that both fiancés must have met in person with the last two years prior to getting a fiancé visa. With many couples meeting online, couples looking to utilize the K-1 visa, should schedule at least one in person meeting before applying for the visa. Last but not least, you and your fiancé must be eligible to get married. 1. Both parties must be of legal age to get married. 2. If you have been previously married, you must prove that your prior marriage has been dissolved. 3. The couple cannot be related by blood. When applying for the fiancé visa, the most important thing is ensure that this is the right visa for you. Depending on your unique circumstances and the facts concerning your case, it is important to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to advise you on your legal options. If you would like to learn more about the K-1 Visa and how to apply please visit our website at www. Follow Us on Social Media: Instagram- @ebonyanuforoesq Facebook-@ebonyanuforoesq Twitter-@ebonyanuforoesq **Disclaimer: The information provided is for educational and informational purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding any immigration matter please contact an immigration attorney directly to assist with your case.


bottom of page